Friday 14 October 2011

"We have no time to stand and stare.."

Whilst out Nordic Walking with a client last week, we noticed a tree with a small plaque at its base, with an inscription, obviously in memory of someone, plus the stanza -


"What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare."
As I tend to be leading walks and teaching clients, I can often be guilty of not pausing to "stand and stare".  But something about the lines made me want to find the rest of it........... "No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare." William Henry Davies ------------------------ I think there's a message for many of us in our busy lives.  In future, I shall be incorporating standing and staring in my Nordic Walking sessions! One reason to be vigilant at the moment is the continuing deer rut in Bushy and Richmond Parks.  The stags are very active and do not welcome people getting too close.  Last week, I saw a woman knocked to the ground by one stag after she and her companion had walked to within 20 yards of it.  Please keep your distance (even if, like many people now, you are carrying a long lens!).
Paparazzi in Bushy Park
On the theme of going more slowly, I have a number of Nordic Walkers who are not trying to get superfit to run up Mount Kilimanjaro or whatever.  Just wanting exercise that won't damage their joints, whilst improving their stamina and muscle tone.  A bit like swimming, but with changing scenery and conversation!  On Saturdays, I lead a Strollers group at 11.30am in Bushy Park, and also can provide individual training to suit your needs.
This week I received an email from a client which describes their experiences with Nordic Walking - 
"After my stroke I was looking for an exercise to improve my balance.  I did walk with a physiotherapist for a while but this was rather expensive.  I was looking for a way to walk and feel confident that I would not fall over, which Nordic Walking does as you feel confident with holding the sticks.  I also wanted to build up my muscles of my upper body as after being in bed for a while I felt very weak.  I personally think that Nordic Walking for stroke victims is the best way forward as you learn to turn and go over different surfaces for example: roads, grass, pavements etc. 
 
Since walking with Peter Young for 3 months I have greatly improved in all areas.  I can now walk happily for over one mile. Do 30 press ups and my blood pressure has improved.  What more can I ask
 
Thank you again Peter"
It's very rewarding working with people who are motivated and want to improve their situation.  If you would like to find out how Nordic Walking can help your physical and mental state, please do get in touch. Whatever pace you go at, enjoy Nordic Walking! Peter 07703-404-931

No comments:

Post a Comment